Richard T. Homes - Treasurer
The County of Augusta Treasurer's Office mission is to provide great customer service in all venues and ensure the fiscal integrity of the County. By maintaining this commitment we:
- Provide a professional environment where our employees can thrive and have access to educational opportunities.
- Concentrate on implementation of technology solutions that will meet or exceed our service requirements.
- Develop and implement more streamlined business processes for the convenience of the customer while adhering to the requirements of the law.
- Listen to customer feedback and implementing changes when possible.
- Strictly adhering to all federal, state and local laws governing the management of public funds.
- Work with external brokers and the banking community to achieve the highest and safest investment returns for the County.
- Take advantage of educational opportunities in the field of treasury management.
Duties and Responsibilities
The County Treasurer is an elected constitutional officer and, as such, is directly accountable to the citizens of Augusta County. The Treasurer's Office prepares mails and collects all tax bills for real and personal property located in the County of Augusta. The office also pursues the collection of all delinquent taxes owed to the county.
Additional revenues collected under the direct supervision of the Treasurer include: business licenses, receipts of State collected revenues and taxes; meals and lodging taxes and other various county fees.
The County Treasurer's office is charged with the design of an effective cash management and investment program for the County and all of its agencies and acts as fiscal agent for the Augusta County Schools and the Valley Vocational Center. Among other activities, these duties include managing the investment policy for the county; arranging for banking services; forecasting all cash receipts and expenditures; investing funds not needed to meet current expenditures; working with external brokers and the banking community; and reporting all investment activities. The Treasurer also acts as a custodian for several other regional and state business funds, which includes maintaining all records, accounting for the investment of funds and the reporting of funds revenue and expenditures.
The County Treasurer's office makes all disbursements for the county that have been approved for payment by the Director of Finance. The Treasurer acts as the reconciliation agent for the county by working with the depository bank, county departments and external and internal auditors.
Last updated: 7/26/2011 2:39:49 PM