Regional Firefighter Testing
- Posted Date:09/05/2019 10:54 AM
- Deadline to Apply:10/21/2019 5:00 PM
Regional Firefighter Testing
Please note the following important information for individuals interested in the Regional Firefighter Testing for Augusta County, Rockingham County, and the Cities of Harrisonburg, Staunton and Waynesboro. Testing will be offered on Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at the Rockingham County Fairgrounds. Certificates will be valid for one year from the testing date.
Information and online registration is available on the City of Harrisonburg Employment Website - visit www.harrisonburgva.gov and click on Employment. Online registration and a check or money order for $25.00 must be received at the City of Harrisonburg Human Resources Office no later than 5:00 p.m. EST on Monday, October 21, 2019. This is a non-refundable registration fee to cover the cost of the test materials. Please note the following: (1) Checks/money orders must be made payable to the City of Harrisonburg; (2) starter checks will not be accepted; (3) check fields must be completed in full, to include the test-taker's name printed in the Memo line, if different from the account holder; (4) an additional fee of $35.00 will be assessed on any returned checks.
The City of Harrisonburg Human Resources Office is acting as the central registration point for all the participating localities. Registrations post marked after the deadline or received late will not be accepted. EOE.
Testing is scheduled for Tuesday, October 29, 2019.
• The test will be administered at the Rockingham County Fairgrounds located at 4808 South Valley Pike, Harrisonburg, VA. Look for the aerial ladder truck at the exhibit hall.
• It is imperative that you be at the Fairgrounds by 4:45 p.m.
• Please bring a picture ID for proper identification.
• The testing will begin promptly at 5:00 p.m.
• No one will be admitted to the test after the starting time of 5:00 p.m.
Comprehensive written firefighter test:
• The written test will take approximately 2 hours to complete.
• The test is validated by IPMA-HR and will test for reading comprehension, interpreting tables, situational judgment, logical reasoning, reading gauges, applying basic math rules, mechanical aptitude, spatial sense map reading and vocabulary. No prior training or experience as a firefighter is assumed of candidates taking the test.
Physical ability testing:
• Opportunities to practice the physical ability test will be conducted on Monday, October 28, 2019 from 4:00pm to 7:00pm at The Rockingham County Fairgrounds located at 4808 South Valley Pike, Harrisonburg, VA. Look for the aerial ladder truck at the exhibit hall.
• The practice session is structured so that you may come/leave any time from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and practice all or parts of the test. Information on the physical ability test will be available after your application has been received.
• Comfortable clothing should be worn, to include long pants and footwear with no open heel or toe. A protective helmet and gloves will be provided.
To be eligible to apply for an open position with the listed localities you must complete and pass the written test and physical ability test. Upon completion of the two tests, you will receive a certificate via e-mail indicating a numerical score on your written test and a pass/fail on your physical ability test. The certificate will be valid for one year from the testing date. Each locality sets their minimum qualifications for their firefighter positions. As openings occur, the locality will advertise their position as they deem appropriate. To be considered you must submit the locality's application and a copy of your certificate indicating your test scores. Each locality will then select candidates based on their identified hiring process.
If you have questions after reviewing this information, please contact the City of Harrisonburg Human Resources Department at 540-432-8920 or by email at Employment@HarrisonburgVA.gov. If your plans change once you have registered and you are unable to participate in the testing, please notify the City of Harrisonburg Human Resources Department at the above phone number or email address. Please be reminded that the registration fee is non-refundable.
NOTE: An Entry-Level Firefighter Candidate Study Guide is available for order and details are provided below: $20.00/booklet, plus tax and shipping.
This 71-page study guide is designed to help you, as a firefighter candidate, prepare to take any of IPMA-HR's entry level firefighter written tests.
The goal of the study guide is to:
• Answer frequently asked questions about the test forms. By reading through the answers to the frequently asked questions, you should gain a clear understanding of what each test assesses, the differences between the test forms, and how to get the most out of this study guide.
• Describe the content areas assessed by the test forms, review the different types of questions you will see when taking any of the test forms, and present sample questions for each content area.
• Share basic test-taking tips that may help you improve your overall test performance.
• Provide a 100 question practice test with full explanations for all the answers.
Important: Please note that due to the purpose and nature of certain types of test questions, there are two content areas that appear on some of our tests that are not covered in detail in this study guide. These are Interest and Situational Judgment. The study guide only contains brief information on these types of questions and no sample questions.
This 2nd edition study guide is available exclusively from IPMA-HR, and all questions in the 2nd edition are unique from the 1st edition. You can order online at :
Please allow sufficient time prior to your scheduled test date to prepare with the study guide. A rush shipping option is available at check out if necessary.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
409 South Main Street
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
An Equal Opportunity Employer