The County of Augusta has established the following complaint procedure providing an opportunity for prompt resolution of complaints alleging violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). This procedure may be used by anyone who wishes to file a complaint alleging discrimination based upon disability in the County’s provision of services, activities or programs. The County’s Personnel Policies cover employment-related complaints of discrimination, so those policies should be considered as employment matters.
Please contact the ADA Coordinator in order to file a complaint related to County services, activities or programs.
Candy J. Hensley
18 Government Center Lane
Verona, VA 24482
Phone: (540) 245-5610
1. A formal complaint should be filed in writing using the form included in this procedure. The form includes the name, address, telephone number(s) and email address of the complainant. The form also requires a brief description of the alleged violaton, including when and where it occurred, and any request for reasonable accommodation required by the complainant.
For persons with disabilities, assistance in completing the form is available. Contact the ADA Coordinator for assistance.
2. A complaint should be filed as soon as possible, but preferably no later than 30 days after the complainant becomes aware of the alleged violation.
3. The ADA Coordinator will contact and/or meet with the complainant within approximately 15 calendar days of receipt of the complaint to discuss the complaint and conduct whatever additional review/investigation of the complaint is necessary.
4. The ADA Coordinator will respond to the complaint in writing, or when appropriate, in a special format accessible to the complainant, within approximately 30 calendar days of meeting with the complainant. This response will explain options to resolve the complaint, when appropriate.
5. If the complainant objects to the ADA Coordinator’s response, then an appeal may be made in writing to the County Administrator within 30 days of the ADA Coordinator’s response. The ADA Coordinator’s response becomes the County’s final determination respecting the complaint, if the complainant does not so appeal.
6. Within approximately 30 calendar days of receiving an appeal, the County Administrator or designee will contact and/or meet with the complainant to discuss the complainant’s objections to the ADA Coordinator’s response. If determined to be necessary, an additional or supplemental review/investigation may be conducted.
7. Within approximately 30 calendar days after meeting with the complainant, the County Administrator or designee will respond to the appeal in writing, or when appropriate in a format accessible to the complainant. This response will address each of the complainant’s appeal objections to the ADA Coordinator’s response. The County Administrator or designee’s response is the County’s final determination respecting the complaint.