Governor Northam and the Augusta County Board of Supervisors have declared a State of Emergency related to the COVID-19 virus. The Government Center will close to the public at 5:00 p.m. Friday, March 20, 2020 until further notice. We are sorry for any inconvenience that this might cause for our citizens. Staff will continue to conduct business by phone, email, or drive-thru window. Please do not hesitate to call our office if you have questions at (540) 245-5700 or email us at email@example.com . We are still conducting inspections at this time.
- Check Zoning for the type of use, size of building allowed, setback regulations, etc.
- Obtain a septic tank construction permit and/or well permit if needed, or be sure public utilities are available. If on septic and/or well, a copy of the permit must be provided.
- for existing septic systems, please provide the following form for the Health Department for approval: (form: Safe, Adequate & Proper)
- Draw a sketch plan showing all property lines, roads, structures, easements, and the distance the structure will be from the road and each property line. A survey may be required upon review of sketch.
- Obtain a highway entrance permit for new dwelling units. A copy of this permit must be provided when the building permit is applied for.
- Two sets of plans must be submitted at time of application.
- Complete building permit application, must be signed by the licensed contractor if the owner is not doing their own work.
- (form: Building Permit Application)
- Check with your lending institution or attorney to see if a Mechanics Lien Agent needs to be designated.(form : Designation of MLA or Non-Designation of MLA
- A Responsible Land Disturber with proper certification is required for new dwelling units unless the owner is acting as general contractor. A landowner may only sign as the responsible party on one agreement per year.(form: Erosion Agreement in Lieu of a Plan, if the answer to either question on the Erosion Agreement in Lieu of a Plan is "yes" the SWPPP form is also required.)
- After all approvals have been received, the building permit and an approved set of plans will be mailed to you, and you may begin to build.
- A contractor may be liable for a business license in Augusta County, so please check with the Commissioner of Revenue regarding this requirement.
Note: If the owner is not doing his own building, plumbing, electrical, or mechanical, the licensed person doing the work must assume responsibility for the work in writing in the form of written contract or signed application.