The Government Center is open to the public. We ask that you continue to use the remote methods of doing business, including online, over the phone, and through the drop-box and drive-through window. Please follow the safety measures posted and wear a mask in the building. Check COVID-19 Resources for Government Center Services and Updates for the latest information. As always, call 540-245-5600 - we are here to help.

Before You Start to Build

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


  • Check Zoning for the type of use, size of building allowed, setback regulations, etc.
  • Obtain a septic tank construction permit and/or well permit if needed, or be sure public utilities are available. If on septic and/or well, a copy of the permit must be provided. 
    • for existing septic systems, please provide the following form for the Health Department for approval: (form: Safe, Adequate & Proper)
  • Draw a sketch plan showing all property lines, roads, structures, easements, and the distance the structure will be from the road and each property line. You may use the public GIS system for an aerial print out of your property to scale your proposed structure on, however please be aware that the property lines are approximate only and are NOT a legal description.  If you use the GIS system, please sign the disclaimer found here. A survey may be required upon review of sketch.
  • Obtain a highway entrance permit for new dwelling units. A copy of this permit must be provided when the building permit is applied for. You must provide some form of written approval from VDOT even if the driveway was existing.
  • Two sets of structural building plans must be submitted at time of application. See checklist for plans.
  • Complete building permit application, must be signed by the licensed contractor if the owner is not doing their own work.  
  • Check with your lending institution or attorney to see if a Mechanics Lien Agent needs to be designated.(form : Designation of MLA or Non-Designation of MLA
  • A Responsible Land Disturber with proper certification is required for new dwelling units unless the owner is acting as general contractor. A landowner may only sign as the responsible party on one agreement per year.(form: Erosion Agreement in Lieu of a Plan, if the answer to either question on the Erosion Agreement in Lieu of a Plan is "yes" the SWPPP form is also required.)
  • After all approvals have been received, the building permit and an approved set of plans will be mailed to you, and you may begin to build.
  • A contractor may be liable for a business license in Augusta County, so please check with the Commissioner of Revenue regarding this requirement.

Note: If the owner is not doing his own building, plumbing, electrical, or mechanical, the licensed person doing the work must assume responsibility for the work in writing in the form of written contract or signed application.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer