Augusta County is required to have a Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit for urbanized areas to prevent the discharge of pollutants such as pet waste, trash, engine oil and fertilizers into waterways. The urbanized areas covered under the County’s MS4 permit are: Areas directly outside Staunton and Waynesboro city limits, Verona, Fishersville and RT 250 corridor between Staunton and Waynesboro.
Augusta County has operated
· Public education and outreach on stormwater impacts
· Public involvement and participation
· Illicit discharge detection and elimination
· Construction site stormwater runoff control
· Post-construction stormwater management in new development and redevelopment
· Pollution prevention/good housekeeping for municipal operations
MS4 programs must be designed and implemented to control the discharge of pollutants from their storm sewer system to the maximum extent practicable in a manner that protects the water quality in nearby streams, rivers, wetlands and bays.