Are your kids bored after school? Would they enjoy being with other children, playing games and sports, doing arts and crafts, singing, dancing, and music activities? If the answer is “yes”, then think about signing your child up to attend one of our C.A.R.E (Children’s Afterschool Recreation Experience) programs.
Augusta County Parks and Recreation will operate eight C.A.R.E. programs for the 2017-2018 school year throughout the county for elementary school-aged children in Kindergarten through grade 5. These programs are developed with the purpose of helping families provide daily recreational activities for their children following school’s dismissal. Emphasis is placed on providing physical activities, development of gross and fine motor skills, healthy competition and good sportsmanship, and the development of interest in different leisure activities and hobbies. These programs are not academically based and are not tutoring or homework programs; however, each program does have a 30 minute courtesy homework time set aside.
The C.A.R.E. programs meet Monday - Friday from school’s dismissal (see Parent Handbook for definition of school’s dismissal) until 6:00 pm according to the Augusta County Schools calendar at the following schools: Cassell Elementary, Churchville Elementary, Clymore Elementary, Riverheads Elementary, Stuarts Draft Elementary, Stump Elementary, and Wilson Elementary.
To enroll your child in one of the C.A.R.E. programs for the 2017-2018 school year, you must be aware of the following:
- Registration for the C.A.R.E. program will be on a “first come, first served” basis. So starting on June 1, 2017 through June 9, 2017 you will be able to register your child or children for the C.A.R.E. program ONLINE ONLY. After June 9, 2017 you will be able to register your child or children in person, over the phone, or continue to register online. Please keep in mind that your registration will not be complete until we have received the $25.00 non-refundable registration fee as well as the August monthly fee and a completed Registration Form for each child. These requirements will need to take place no later than 5:00pm on August 1, 2017 in order for your child or children to begin the C.A.R.E. program on the first day of school.
If you are registering your child after the first day of school, August 8, 2017, please follow the following steps:
- Check online or call Parks and Recreation at 245-5727 for availability before registering.
- Download a registration form. Complete and return the form to us by mailing it to P.O. Box 590, Verona, VA. 24482, faxing it to 245-5732, or emailing it to email@example.com .
- Download the fees chart for cost information.
There is a $25.00 registration fee at the time of registration. If your child is beginning after the start of a new month, you will need to call for the payment amount that will be due. Payment can be mailed to the above address or by calling Parks and Recreation and paying over the phone with a VISA, Discover or MasterCard. Online payment is also available.
4. Please download and read the updated Parent Handbook. There are some important procedures you as a parent will need to follow for your child to stay in the program.