Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

From Our Benefit Programs Unit

Assistance & Benefits

You can apply for Social Services Benefits, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), Medical Assistance, and Energy Assistance Program (EAP) Online anytime at

Other ways to contact for assistance and benefits are:
     Our toll-free helpline: 1.855.635.4370
     Our local office:
          Verona: 540.245.5800
          Waynesboro: 540.942.6646

You can apply and learn more about Medicaid, FAMIS, and other healthcare options at the Cover Virginia website, or by calling Cover Virginia Call Center at 1.855.242.8282

Medicaid Expansion Information

WHSV 1 on 1: Medicaid Expansion Information Session 

Medicaid Expansion

On Thursday, June 7, 2018, Governor Northam signed a state budget that expanded Virginia's Medicaid program. Starting January 1, 2019, Medicaid will be available to eligible adult Virginians ages 19 - 64 who live in households earning
≤138% of the Federal Poverty Level ($28,676 for a family of three in 2018). Nearly 400,000 Virginians will be income-eligible.

Coverage will be comprehensive, and will include doctor, hospital and emergency services; prescription drugs; behavioral health and substance use services; and more.

To find out more or to use an eligibility screening tool, please go to the Cover Virginia website.

The rules have changed!  So, if you applied for Medicaid in the past and were denied, you may now be eligible. 

You can apply by calling Cover Virginia at 1.855.242.8282

Medicaid Expansion Flyer

Medicaid Expansion FAQs

Cover Virginia Flyer

A Must-Read on Medicaid and the Marketplace

New Enterprise Customer Call Center 1.855.635.4370

Apply by phone Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.  for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Medical Assistance (MA), and Energy Assistance.  In addition to facilitating telephonic applications, specialists will be able to respond to basic citizen inquiries related to the services they wish to apply for or are currently receiving, including:
• Status of Application or Current Case   
• Amount of Benefits Authorized
• Date of Benefit Issuance
• Benefit Eligibility Period
• Appeals Referral
• Verification of Receipt of Benefits

The call center will not be able to determine eligibility nor will they take application for renewals.

You can also apply online at CommonHelp

SNAP Double Dollars Program

Did you know our local farmer's markets double your SNAP(EBT) benefits up to $25?

Farmers Market SNAP Double Dollars Program Flyer


From Our Child Care Unit  School Girl

Does the Thought of Paying for Summer Child Care Stress You Out?  

We offer financial assistance for child care to those individuals who meet income and eligibility requirements and available funds.  

Apply online at CommonHelp



From Our Adult Protective Services Unit

 New Law's

Effective January 1, 2019, state law requires agencies to post guidance documents on the Virginia Town Hall website and in the Virginia Register for a 30-day public comment period. The APS Division will submit guidance documents on Town Hall on July 3, 2019 for publication on July 22, 2019 in accordance with the Virginia Register of Regulations publishing schedule.

Become a Volunteer with the Money Management Program

Become a Volunteer

Are your good at budgeting and organizational skills?  Did you know that there are low income seniors and persons with disabilities right in your own community that need your help to remain independent?  Currently the Volunteer Money Management Program is looking for volunteers with good budgeting, organizational, and support skills to help manage the finances of older or disabled low-income individuals who desperately need assistance. Click the link below for the Volunteer Money Management Program Brochure.  If you are interested in learning more, please contact VMMP at 540.942.6403 or 540.943.6650

Volunteer MMP Brochure

Apply to become a volunteer

Frequently Asked Questions for Representative Payees

Volunteer Payee Webinar by Social Security Administration  The webinar will explain the basic duties expected of representative payees and how to help fill the critical shortage of payees. Watch our webinar, "Social Security Needs Your Help to Find Good Representative Payees" to learn more about the responsibilities of a representative payee.



From Our Energy Assistance Unit

Cooling Assistance dog with fan

We will accept applications for Cooling Assistance June 15 - August 15th.  Apply online at  CommonHelp, or fill out the application in the link below.  In order to qualify for cooling assistance, a household must have either a child under six years of age, an individual living with a disability, or an adult age 60 or older living in the home.  There is also an income requirement for cooling assistance.  Types of assistance include. 

  • Payment of electric bills to operate cooling equipment
  • Payment of security deposits for electricity to operate cooling equipment
  • Repair of a central air conditioning system or heat pump
  • Purchase of a whole-house fan, including ceiling or attic fans
  • Purchase and installation of a window unit air conditioner

For more information call the state Enterprise Customer Call Center at 1.855.635.4370

Energy Assistance Program Fact Sheet

Cooling Assistance Application (June 15th - August 15th)



From Our Foster Care Unit

Interested in Adoption or Becoming a Foster Parent?  Foster Care

Want to Learn More? 

Check out our helpful flyer below on what is required and Spring 2019/Fall 2019 training schedules.

SVSS Pride Flyer, Spring 2019

SVSS Pride Flyer, Fall 2019