The Government Center is open to the public. We ask that you continue to use the remote methods of doing business, including online, over the phone, and through the drop-box and drive-through window. Please follow the safety measures posted and wear a mask in the building. Check COVID-19 Resources for Government Center Services and Updates for the latest information. As always, call 540-245-5600 - we are here to help.

Apply For Assistance Online

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
How to Apply for Financial Assistance - CommonHelp


At some point in our lives, we or someone we know - our friends, family members, or loved ones - may face a hardship or illness that requires the need for financial assistance. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) provides a variety of financial assistance programs to eligible residents of Virginia.

CommonHelp - helping those in need

CommonHelp is the Commonwealth of Virginia's fast and easy way to apply online for many financial assistance programs. Through the CommonHelp website you can find out what assistance you may be eligible for and submit one application saving you time and effort.

You can apply online through CommonHelp or in person at our office for the following programs:

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (Formerly known as food stamps)
  • Medicaid
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
  • Child Care Services
  • Energy Assistance (Cooling, Heating, or Crisis)
  • Financial Assistance Programs

You can also use the CommonHelp website to:

  • Check your benefits
  • Renew your benefits
  • Link your account to a case
  • Report changes to your case
  • Update your account

Eligibility Requirements

Applicants must meet certain general eligibility requirements to receive such services as SNAP, cash, medical, or energy assistance and help with child care expenses. These general requirements include:

You must live in Virginia
You must be a U.S. citizen or meet certain requirements if you are an immigrant
You must meet the specific requirements of each program for which you are applying

Before it can be determined whether you are eligible, much of the information you give must be verified. Eligibility and the amount of benefits will be based on your income, resources and number of people for whom you are applying, and for some programs, certain household expenses.

You will be notified in writing as soon as a decision about your application has been made. This notice will tell you whether you are eligible, and if eligible, what your benefits will be. If you are applying for financial or medical assistance, you must apply for any other benefits to which you may be entitled, such as Social Security, Worker's Compensation, Unemployment Compensation, Veteran's Benefits, or retirement pensions.

Am I eligible?

You may use the online eligibility screening tool (please click here to access the screening tool) to help determine whether you may be eligible for benefits. Please note, however, that the final decision regarding eligibility must be made by an eligibility worker at your local department of social services.

How to apply

You may apply for assistance online through CommonHelp, in person at our office, or by mailing an application to:

Verona Office
Shenandoah Valley Social Services, P.O. Box 7, Verona, VA 24482.
Applications may also be faxed to 540.213.3660


Waynesboro Office
Shenandoah Valley Social Services, 1200 Shenandoah Ave, Waynesboro, VA 22980.
Applications may also be faxed to 540.932.2538



All information you provide is confidential and may only be given to staff directly connected with administering or enforcing provisions of the programs for which you applied, other federal assistance programs, or programs that assist low-income individuals. Information will also be disclosed to:

Law enforcement officials for the purpose of investigating program violations
The Division of Child Support Enforcement to help locate absent parents
Persons connected with verifying status of immigrants
Law enforcement officials if you are a fugitive felon and receiving TANF or food stamp benefits
Agencies providing employment-related services for TANF recipients.

Back To DSS Home