Public School Recycling Awards

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Notice of Award – 2016 Recycling Grants

 Annually the Augusta County Recycling Committee encourages public schools to apply for funds to be used for recycling activities.  Activities include educational materials, field trips, recycling bin purchase, costs associated with container rental and hauling of recyclables. 

 The Recycling Committee announces the awards for the Competitive Recycling Mini-Grant to the following public school for 2016:


Clymore Elementary School - $180

Last year, Clymore Elementary expanded there recycling program to staff and parents.  This year they have expanded the program and include plastic and glass. Clymore Elementary is recycling food cans from the cafeteria, mixed paper, cardboard, aluminum cans, plastic bottles and glass. The school is also starting a Green Team that will include teachers, staff, students and the PTA members. The team would be responsible for helping educate the students as well as getting them excited about recycling.  There will be a school wide recycling contest where students make something out of recycled materials, giving a prize to the winner. Recycling Grant funds will help support the recycling program contest and will allow additional containers and supplies to be purchased. 


Stuarts Draft Middle School - $300

 Stuarts Draft Middle School began their recycling program in 2013 and established recycling bins to collected paper.  The school has a growing S.A.V.E. Club with 60 students participating this year.  The students are excited about saving the planet and do most of the recycling collection from individual locations. Stuarts Draft Middle School wishes to use Recycling Grant funds to purchase outside containers and other supplies to combat the large amount of recyclables and the need for an insect free program.  The school also recycles cardboard in an outside dumpster.


Riverheads High School - $250

 Riverheads High School established a recycling program many years ago by receiving one of the Recycling Committee’s start-up recycling program grants.  The program is recycling plastic bottles, aluminum cans, mixed paper, plastic film (grocery bags), glass, and cardboard.  The school also does education through the classes and the Environmental Science Club.  Recycling Grant funds will be used to support the existing recycling program by supplying raw materials for the Ag shop to build now recycling containers.

 Wilson Memorial High School - $250

 Wilson Memorial High School has an established recycling program. The School recycles cardboard, paper and plastic.  Wilson Memorial wishes to use fund to replace recycling bins in rough shape.  The School is part of the regional recycling program on the Woodrow Wilson Post. 


Congratulations to the recipients!


The Augusta County Recycling Committee would like to thank all that have participated in the Competitive Recycling Mini-Grant.