- County Code Section 5-15 requires that all dogs in the county that are 4 months old and older wear a current dog license. To purchase a tag, the dog owner must present a valid rabies vaccination certificate for the dog along with a spay/neutered certificate if applicable. Dogs found on county streets without a valid tag are taken by Animal Control to a shelter where they remain until the owner pays the applicable fine and as slated by the Animal Control Officer.
- One year and kennel dog tags expire on December 31st of each year. Once a dog tag has been purchased, the dog owner is required to renew this purchase, (a one year or kennel tag), in the month of January of each year.
- A three year license runs concurrent with the rabies certificate, you will be required to renew this license at the time of the rabies expiration date.
- You must have an updated rabies vaccination for your dog on file with your vet.
- Dog tags may be purchased by mail, or in the lobby of the Government Center.
- If the dog's rabies vaccination expires before the new license year begins, a copy of a current vaccination certificate must be submitted with the renewal form.
- Starting January 1, 2010 all Augusta County dog tags (excluding kennel tags) are permanent tags. This means that the numbered tag you are issued at the time of purchase will be the one you keep every year unless it is lost, stolen or destroyed. You will be paying to renew that numbered tag. Please keep your receipts for each renewal, (one year or three year).
Per Augusta County Code Section 5-14, dog license amounts are as follows:
(Effective January 1, 2010)
ONE YEAR; (January - December)
Unsexed (spayed or neutered) dogs: $6.00
Sexed Male or Female dogs: $10.00
THREE YEARS; (Runs concurrent with rabies certificate)
Unsexed (spayed or neutered) dogs: $15.00
Sexed Male or Female dogs: $25.00
Replacement tags for lost/stolen/destroyed tags: $1.00
Kennel of 20 dogs: $50.00 (“Kennel” refers to an enclosure with five or more dogs.)
Before a kennel license can be issued a special use permit must be on file with the Community Development office. You may contact them at 245-5700.
- Taxes are due by March 1 of each year. If this date falls on a weekend or a holiday it is due the next business day. For more information, please contact the Commissioner of the Revenue Office.
Meals and Lodging
- Taxes are due by the 20th of each month. If this date falls on a weekend or holiday it is due the next business day. For more information, please contact the Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office.